Hanfu refers to clothes worn by the Han Chinese during ancient times. They are mostly flowy with a relaxed fit. Recently I was browsing on YesStyle for summer outfit ideas, and found myself loving those Hanfu inspired styles. Unlike in Japan, where you can often see people in their kimonos walking on the streets, in China it’s rare to see the traditional clothes in everyday life. However, young Chinese people, especially those born in the 90s and later are starting to embrace the Hanfu culture.
“Updated” Hanfu for the Modern Closet
Hanfu inspired styles combine the ancient Chinese esthetics with a contemporary taste. Though they are different from the ancient garments, by adopting a new attitude, these “updated” Hanfu styles are simply a fun way to refresh a modern closet.
Check out what I found:
Use my code LVNPETITE for extra discounts at YesStyle
1. Floral Hanfu Top (Fabric: linen, Tencel. $28.90)
2. Plain Short-Sleeve Hanfu Top (fabric: Tencel. $22.90)
3. Polka Dot Printed Hanfu Top (Fabric: cotton, linen. $30.90 )
This top is from a brand called Calo Rosa. They offer many Hanfu inspired pieces in cotton and linen; you may want to check them out.
4. Printed Long-Sleeve Midi Dress (Fabric: cotton, linen. $40.90)
The same cute print is also available on this dress.
5. Plain Long-Sleeve Maxi Dress (Fabric: cotton, linen. $24.90. Comes in white, black, beige, yellow, and red.)
6. Hanfu Short-Sleeve Tee (Fabric: cotton, linen. $15.90. Comes in navy blue, red, white, and yellow.)
7. Cropped Wide-Leg Pants (Fabric: linen. $24.90)
8. Long-Sleeve Plain Tunic/Dress (Fabric: linen. $20.90. Comes in black, green, orange and purple.)
9. Long-Sleeve Buttoned A-Line Midi Dress (Fabric: cotton, linen. $18.90. Comes in white and blue.)
About this Curated List of Hanfu Inspired Styles
To avoid a costume look, I looked for Hanfu inspired styles that are easier to wear for a modern lifestyle. This means narrower sleeves, minimal patterns, and less layers and strings so that it’s quick to put on and take off. After checking each item’s materials listed on YesStyle, I handpicked the pieces made from natural or natural derived fabrics such as Tencel, linen, and cotton.
All images in this post are from YesStyle
As always, thank you for reading and visiting my blog.