To help myself shop better, I have a mindful shopping hierarchy:
- Secondhand (in most of my outfits)
- Ethical/sustainable brands or collections
- Socially responsible brands (b-corps, “giving back” models, etc.)
- Well-made items that can be used for years, even decades
- Anything that doesn’t meet the first 4 criteria, try to minimize buying them
- Biodegradable/natural/semi-natural fabrics: cotton, linen, silk, wool, Tencel®, Modal®, etc.
- Recycled fabrics, synthetic or not
- Non-biodegradable/synthetic fabrics: polyester, nylon, polyamide, etc.
“Don’t buy much but make sure that what you buy is good.”― Christian Dior
Having a mindful shopping hierarchy as a guide helps me to make better decisions. And if everyone shops more mindfully for their fashion, we can together reduce waste and protect our future.
Thank you for visiting LivingPetite